I found this delicious cheesy recipe on Buzzfeed’s Tasty Facebook Page about a month ago.
This recipe is such a crowd pleaser and is so easy to make that I’ve made one meatball bread boat a week since I’ve discovered it.
*Image found on Buzzfeed
½ pound ground beef
½ pound hot Italian sausage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 cup grated parmesan (½ cup for meatballs, ½ cup for boat topping)
½ cup bread crumbs
½ cup water
3 cups marinara sauce
1 Italian bread loaf
3 cups mozzarella
1. In a large bowl, combine beef, sausage, salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil, ½ cup parmesan, egg, bread crumbs, water. It works well to squish the mixture with your hands.
2. Shape the meatballs into balls roughly larger than a golf ball, or desired size.
3. Coat a large pan with olive oil and bring to a medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides.
4. Set aside meatballs and remove excess grease. Return the meatballs to the hot pan, add marinara sauce and simmer for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
5. Cut a long rectangle through the top of the bread loaf and partially unstuff the loaf. Layer the bottom of the loaf with half the mozzarella, cooked meatballs, sauce, then top with the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan.
6. Bake for 25 minutes at 350˚F / 175˚C.
7. Cut and serve while still warm. Enjoy!
The changes I made to the recipe were:
- I used 1/4 pound ground beef, but added a few chilli flakes as Italian sausage is difficult to find here.
- I omitted grated parmesan in the meatballs.
- I added some fresh chopped parsley to the meatballs.
This recipe is perfect as a quick weeknight dinner and as a winter warmer meal.
For a video on how to make this Meatball Bread Boat visit the original source.
Let me know what you think!
Love and Blessings,